Save money with new BT SmartTalk app
The first app to link a customer’s home calling plan with their mobile is launched today by BT.
BT SmartTalk is a free app available on both iPhone and Android mobiles which allows BT customers to make calls in the UK or abroad (1). These are then billed as if they were calling from their BT home phone.
How to save money
Using the app, customers could save money in a number of ways:
• When travelling abroad, BT customers can use BT SmartTalk to phone home for the price of
a UK call (2), which may be included in their BT package.
• BT customers can make inclusive calls, using their home calling plan, to UK landlines, 0800, 0845 and 0870 (3) numbers on their smartphone.
• Pay as you go (PAYG) smartphone customers can also make savings on their calls to mobiles as BT’s landline rates are cheaper than standard PAYG tariffs, or continue to use their smartphone to make calls when they are running out of credit.
For example, customers on BT’s Unlimited Anytime Plus Plan will be able to make 24/7 calls to any UK landline number or 0845 number at no extra cost, whilst enjoying calls to mobiles from as little as 2.65 pence per minute – a fraction of the standard rates typically charged by mobile pay as you go tariffs.
“This is a really exciting breakthrough that means you can take your BT calling plan with you and continue saving money when you’re away from home,” said John Petter, MD of BT Consumer. “And of course, you can take advantage of BT Wi-fi which gives you access to a massive network of 7.5 million hotspots around the world.”
Anyone, anywhere, anytime
The app works best over wi-fi, but will also work over any mobile data connection. BT SmartTalk calls can be made to anyone, anywhere, at any time and the app supports up to five users on one calling plan. Customers will not be charged for making calls that are included as part of their home calling plan.
1. £15.45/month BT line rental and monthly home calling plan payable. Customers need an iPhone / Android Smartphone connected to Wi-Fi or 3G. UK time zone applies. Opt-in for International, Premium (09) and Personal (070) calls. Fair Use policy applies. Excludes BT Basic. See www.bt.com/btfon.
2. UK 01, 02 & 03 calls. 0845 & 0870 max 1,000 minutes/150 calls a month or charges apply. Redial after 60 minutes. Exclusions apply.
3. Calls to 0871 cost a maximum of 10.2p per minute plus 13.87p set-up fee; calls to 070 cost no more than 51p per minute, with a maximum set-up charge of 51p (see www.bt.com/personal/pricing for our full tariffs).
Posted by Gerry Kiernan - September 12th 2012 at 20:00
Posted by Sam Calvert - April 10th 2012 at 12:20
Posted by BT Life Newsdesk - March 13th 2012 at 12:32
Posted by Dave Barrett - May 3rd 2011 at 10:00
Posted by Sue Davis - April 13th 2011 at 10:00
More articles by BT Life Newsdesk
Posted by BT Life Newsdesk - May 22nd 2013 at 10:00
Posted by BT Life Newsdesk - May 9th 2013 at 11:29
Posted by BT Life Newsdesk - May 9th 2013 at 11:04
Posted by BT Life Newsdesk - May 9th 2013 at 11:02
Posted by BT Life Newsdesk - May 9th 2013 at 11:01
BT is not responsible for any external content or links uploaded by users of the site. Nor does the presence of information or links about other parties' products or services confer any form of endorsement of another party's products or services by BT. Please visit the BT Life user guide for more information.